To love is to understand...

When you look at the yoga world especially in North America, there are still a lot of stereotypes and stigma around it that men find it too feminine so they won't even try it or won't admit practicing. So looking at the statistics, it is odd that many of my yoga teachers turned out to be men. A little bit like women who are in the work-field in a corporate world where men oppress women for what is supposed to be natural in life like periods, pregnancies, motherhood, etc. I felt the need to be more ambitious, fire-like, strong at all times, like an energizer-bunny.
Many years later, after taking prenatal yoga, having given prenatal, postnatal, chair, restorative yoga sessions, yin yoga, then meeting a woman mentor to get more inspired from, I accept my feminine side and tell myself that it is ok to slow down during the menstrual cycle.
Understanding the cycle, what needs to be done in yoga practice, which tea to take to support my uterus, which oils to use to soothe my wellbeing completely changed the way I view my period and womanhood.
For sure, avoid inversions during the cycle. Even too many standing poses are not recommended. Slower, holding the poses longer, a lot of pranayamas, tuning in, reconnect with self. Do not round your back, allow more space to let it flow and accept that this is a period to relax.

This pose is great when you feel anxious. But during periods, don't do it too long as it rounds your back, which closes the abdomen. If you have your periods, tell your yoga teacher. If you have a good one, she will tell you which ones to avoid, which ones to be careful, which ones can be done longer and which are super recommended. But it is still very individual, as some have heavy flow, some have cramps, some have headaches, some women just have everything. For this reason, I suggest more private sessions to get full hour of adapted, customized restorative poses. Especially the first day on your period, just avoid doing too much.
There are some oils like Clary Sage, lavender, cypress fir, ylang ylang, chamomille, peppermint and Frankincense to help us relieve tensions and cramps. Only use the top quality for best results: www.mydoterra.com/jewellee
 
After practicing some restorative poses just for the cycle during an hour, I feel lighter, energized and ready to tackle anything! I hope you meet a good yoga teacher or therapist who can help you whenever you feel sluggish. If you are in my area, you know how to reach me: www.ayamtl.com

Comments