These rules speak to me more than the ten commandments.

I have been going to a catholic church since I was in my mom's belly. I was raised a catholic and had catechism until late high school years. Few years ago, I started wondering why we are so uptight and stubborn, perhaps it is due to our one way view/perception about life-death, evil-angel, dark-light taught from the Catholicism that is behind most of the Western culture. My research to something else that would open my mind, soul ended in spiritualism and belief of just myself as well as human kinds. Now that I have discovered yoga, the rules that I abide myself are Yamas & Niyamas. Simple, very realistic and reasonable but right to the core of truth in us, when followed without force and violence, perhaps you will get the sort of awakening that you'd want, but this Samadhi (awakening/eveil) should not be desired with greed, but something that will come naturally. So here are the Yamas and Niyamas which I do go into details time to time during my sessions in yoga studios.
The five Yamas: The five Yamas are considered codes of restraint, abstinence, self-regulations, and involve our relationship with the external world and other people:
  • Ahimsa: non-violence, non-harming, non-injury (toward self and others)
  • Satyam: truthfulness, honesty, sincerity (toward self and others)
  • Asteya: non-stealing, abstention from theft, that is material or non-material like time or energy from someone.
  • Brahmacharya: walking in awareness of the highest reality, continence, remembering the divine, practicing the presence of God (respect your limits)
  • Aparigraha: non-possessiveness, non-holding through senses, non-greed, non-grasping, non-indulgence, non-acquisitiveness (letting go, non-attachment)
The five Niyamas: The five Niyamas are the observances or practices of self-training, and deal with our personal, inner world:
  • Saucha: purity of body and mind
  • Santosa: contentment and equanimity
  • Tapa: training the senses, austerities, ascesis (a continual practice with discipline)
  • Svadhyaya: self-study, reflection on sacred words
  • Ishvara pranidhana: surrender; (ishvara = creative source, causal field, God, supreme Guru or teacher; pranidhana = practicing the presence, dedication, devotion, surrender of fruits of practice)

Comments