About me...

I decided to start a blog page on my journey since I find that I have no room to share this with you during my teaching sessions. I did not find my story would be that necessary, but now, I do find that perhaps knowing my background, my real story could inspire you a little more.
My name is Jewel Harini Lee. I am an art and yoga teacher. I am going to break the ice and just plainly tell you what happened to me.
In 2000, I had a liver failure due to an allergic reaction (1 in a million chance) to a prescription and also found out that I had Lupus that same year. For those of you who don't know, Lupus is a systemic autoimmune disease (SLE: Systemic lupus erythematosus), basically you don't recognize your own soldiers and you attack yourself constantly. So my while blood cells were very low and did not change until 2003. Since going to see my doctors was depressing as each blood test was almost same, I stopped going for tests.
In 2010, I got married and I cooked whatever my husband liked. Anything we'd see on Foodnetwork channel. In 2011/12, I changed my diet because I was starting to gain weight in the wrong places, which never happened to me before when I was eating mom's food (mostly stews, soups, no fat but not organic). Something had to be done, so I began reading about the food industry. I started researching on my own all that I could lay my hands on. That is when I started really buying more organic foods. In 2013, I went back to get some blood test after a long break. My blood test result was different: blood cells went up! My doctor could not believe it! She asked me what I did differently. I just said that I started taking some vitamins as I knew they don't believe or at least won't show. In 2014, during a down phase, I was introduced to meditation/mudra yoga. Something clicked and I came back from that trip wanting to know more and I just picked a school after seeing their website and few lines on their philosophy. First day of training, one of the first line Herve Blondon said at Satyam Hatha Yoga School after his brief introduction: "Oubliez tout ce que vous avez appris!" It means "Forget everything you have learned." I was bit shocked as I did train on my own for few months everyday before going there. After awhile, I couldn't deny that everything I have seen and learned before was worth nothing.
So after changing my diet, I did feel that I was feeling better, but then adding yoga to the mixture, I can say that I feel way healthier, stronger than I was before 25!
The yoga that my teacher shared is Iyengar, but of course he adds his own style, his latest findings as he keeps practicing and researching in anatomy, physiology, yoga, health, spirituality and beyond.
Iyengar always insisted on alignment, finding one's center, using props, walls, kurunta (straps on walls)...
Lately, after learning about the cervical alignment, I have been constantly bringing my awareness to my neck and my head. People have been commenting on my eye color changing, becoming brighter, etc.
Yesterday, with Yoga Nat's owner, we started a new class called Restorative yoga, which is basically yoga therapy: using yoga as a therapeutic measure to release any tensions, relieve of bad habits and replace with good postures in alignment. We concentrated a lot on the health of our feet. They loved it and could not get enough of it. I will have to continue another week on healthy feet as we were not done working out our feet. Did you know that unhealthy feet equals unhealthy rest of the body too? Flat feet will give you tensions going up and down to even your rib cage!
Now, I can no longer see my life without yoga.
Staying connected with our bodies will ground us. Without a proper alignment of the body, meditation, illumination, awakening, letting go might be hard or impossible.
It is like asking to play the hardest piece on earth when you did not learn the basics in piano.
We can't forget our soul, but we cannot forget our bodies either. Our body is the first step and entrance to our soul, well as long as you are a human being on earth. Relieve your physical tensions in alignment, find your center literally, then we will go find your emotional center, mental center, etc.
I don't do yoga for show, not for trend, just for my well being in and out.
Beside work, home, your routine, what do you do to nourish your soul or to free it? You don't know where to start right? Come feel, live the yoga with me on a yoga mat.

Comments